Practical Gifts for 2-Year Olds
How can it be? The little baby that you swear you were just holding in your arms is turning two already?! It is crazy how quickly time passes! Just a year ago your little one was taking their first steps and babbling, and now they have developed into an energetic little tyke getting ready to celebrate their second birthday!
Whether it be your own child, a niece, nephew, grandchild, or friend, picking out a practical gift for a 2 year old boy or girl can be challenging! As if finding them a gift the first year wasn’t hard enough, now you’ve found yourself in the same position again!
You’re probably wondering, what is a good second birthday gift? What can you get a two year old that already has everything? No need to worry, we are here to help! When thinking about gifts ideas it is important to consider non toy gifts for 2 year olds as well!
Turning two is such a fun age (even if it is nicknamed the terrible twos) and you want to give your kid something to reflect that! However, it is important to remember that fun does not necessarily equal a flashy, single-use toy. So, what can we get your toddler that is a fun and practical gift?
Practical Gifts for 2 year olds: Educational Toys
The toy aisle can be a daunting place; while it may bring out the inner child in you, the sheer amount of options can make it overwhelming! When in doubt, stay away from anything that has electronic noises or lights flashing from it! Instead, try some of our favorite educational toys:
1. Gift Them an Activity Cube!
If you are choosing to gift your little one a toy for their second birthday, there are countless reasons why an Activity Cube is the perfect one to give! To understand some of the key reasons we love it, let us highlight all that it can do for your child!
To put it simply, the activity cube enhances your tykes hand-eye coordination and fine motor skills while simultaneously teaching them about shapes, colors, and numbers! On top of all that, it is also durable and compact (perfect for upkeep and cleaning)!
Who knew a simple kids toy had so much to offer? This cube really gives you the best bang for your buck in terms of quality and play possibilities!
2. Consider a Wooden Puzzle!
The best (and most practical) toys to give your little ones are not ones that will overstimulate your kiddos’ little senses, but ones that will aid in their development - while still being fun!
Like the activity cube, puzzles develop fine motor skills by moving and placing little pieces, but they also aid in so many other factors of your toddlers’ development! For starters, your child will learn how to problem solve and learn how many small pieces can create a much bigger one. By wrongly placing the pieces, they will persevere through trial and error!
Additionally, solving the puzzles will also help strengthen their concentration and develop their attention span. These are all skills that will help them succeed later on in life!
While puzzles may seem like a one-stop shop, we are here to assure you that they aren’t! Believe it or not, there is so much more that you can do with a puzzle besides solely putting it together! Get creative in the ways that you play with your puzzle and try:
- Organizing your pieces
- Counting your pieces
- Asking questions about the puzzle and developing conversation
- Learn about colors!
These are only a few of the ways you can extend your play time with puzzles! With so many possibilities, it is easy to see why we are obsessed with them for birthday presents!
Practical Non Toy Gifts for 2 Year Old
While toys and trinkets are a go-to for family and friends for their favorite kiddos' second birthday, there are many non toy gifts for 2 year olds that you can give. Try giving…
In a few years when it is time to declutter, the things that will be kept won’t be plastic trinkets- they will be meaningful gifts! After all, anyone can wrap a toy and give it to a kid, but it takes someone special to give a meaningful non toy gift.
So, what are some meaningful gifts you could give a 2 year old? Try some of these non toy gifts for 2 year old or let them inspire you for your own idea:
- Photo Album: A photo album is a great way to commemorate all the good times you have had together so far. Your album doesn’t have to exclusively be printed photos either- it can include notes, drawings, and little things you have collected along the way (say, a flower they gave you at the park!). This is a gift that you can continue to add to, year after year, so make sure you can add pages in the future! If you would like to give it more of a creative touch, try a scrapbook!
- Something Handmade! Not only are handmade gifts great at saving you a few dollars, but they are also fantastic because the thought behind it shows how much you care! While a two year old may not be able to recognize that you spent hours crafting something for them, as they get older they will realize the sentimental value that your gift holds. Some ideas for handmade gifts could include knitting or crocheting a blanket, writing them a poem or story, or even building them something in your woodwork shop!
- Passed Down Gift Do you have something that you have been holding onto forever saying ‘I am going to pass this to my children’? Now is the time to bring it out and pass it along! While you may not want to pass a family heirloom down to a 2 year old quite yet, any beloved toys from your childhood would be perfect! I remember some of my favorite toys to play with growing up were the Barbies my own mom passed down to me!
As a parent, I think we can all agree; the less mess the better! That is why an experiential gift is the best way to go! Instead of adding clutter to the unavoidable mess that comes with kids, get them out of the house and form some memories with them! This is our favorite option for non toy gifts for 2 year old!
The possibilities with this type of gift are endless- when you’re deciding what to do, think about who your kiddo is and what they love! Planning a day around their interests will be a blast for both of you! For example, if your tyke loves dinosaurs, take him to the museum to see their fossils or maybe host a movie night with Jurassic movies and dino nuggets! It doesn’t have to be so specific, so if you’re looking for more inspiration, try some of these activities:
- Go to the Zoo
- Movie night! Go to the theatres or cuddle up at home in a fort!
- Go to a water park or splash pad
- Have a picnic with their favorite foods
- Make art together
- Get them a pet (this is a long lasting experience- only do with parents permission!)
- Go on a road trip
- Go to a reading at the library
- So much more!
Like we said before, the possibilities for an experiential gift are endless! You can even make a whole day out of it by mixing and matching ideas! Whether you know it or not, the memories you make with your toddlers may stay with them the rest of their lives.
Non toy gifts for 2 year old are a great way to spend precious time with your little one! Although they might not explicitly remember the activities that you did for the day, the nostalgia and joy that they feel when they eat those favorite foods again or visit the water park stem from their birthday experience with you!
If none of these other ideas are up your alley, contributing to a college fund has never hurt anybody! As someone who received the gift of donations to their college fund growing up, I can tell you that this was much appreciated! As a child, this gift may almost seem like not even receiving a gift at all, but in the long run, they will be so much more grateful for your contribution - I know I was!
Instead of giving a toy that might just take up space, rarely get played with, or thrown away in a few years, you are able to invest in their future! Even if they decide not to pursue college, they can save that money for a rainy day or use it for their other ambitions in life!
Trust me, at the end of the day when the parent of the birthday kid is drowning in a pile of wrapping paper with toys scattered in every direction, they will be thanking you for going this route! Non toys gifts for 2 year old can benefit not only the child but also their parent!
Don’t forget the fun!
At the end of the day, birthdays are supposed to be fun! Do not stress out too much about finding the perfect gift-- have fun with it and remember that you can always choose non toy gifts for 2 year old! We have given you plenty of ideas for fun, yet practical gifts for a 2 year old to spark some inspiration! You know your little birthday boy or girl best so there is no doubt you can find something they will love.